MADE IN CANADA
Strat pickups, handwound to your specifications.
We DON'T recommend using this form yourself if you don't have a good understanding of how pickups are made. Contact us using the Product Support form for assistance designing a pickup to suit your preferences. Custom pickups are NOT returnable if ordered without design approval from Next Gen.
- All of our strat pickups include the following:
- 12mm height
- Twisted pair of cloth covered 22AWG stranded wire
- White for Hot
- Black for Ground
- Black cloth tape wrapped around the finished coil
Options (common selections listed here for your reference):
- Your choice of magnet type, polarity, and pole spacing
- A2 or A5 are most common
- Bridge "South Up", 52mm spacing
- Middle "North Up" (for RWRP), 50mm spacing
- Neck "South Up", 50mm spacing
- Your choice of pole stagger and orientation (low E to high E)
- Modern Improved (for plain G) = 0.671", 0.688", 0.710", 0.671", 0.671", 0.671"
- Modern Improved (for wound G) = 0.671", 0.688", 0.710", 0.710", 0.671", 0.671"
- Vintage Stagger = 0.671", 0.671", 0.710", 0.710", 0.630", 0.650"
- Flat (no stagger) = 0.671" for all
- Your choice of wire type & winding direction
- 42AWG Poly is most common
- Choice of wire type primarily impacts tone because of the small difference in thickness of the insulation. Formvar is much heavier, allowing slightly greater output without sacrificing as many highs due to the larger coil. However, you can't fit as much wire on a bobbin.
- Thinner (higher gauge) wire tends to have more resistance, sacrificing high end response. But, you can fit more wire on the coil, allowing for potentially greater output.
- Bridge & Neck "Clockwise"
- Middle "Counterclockwise" (for RWRP)
- Your choice of target DCR (+-2%) or wind count (+-0.5%), per coil
- ~6K DCR or ~8000 winds with 42AWG Poly wire is a good starting point.
- If you choose a number of winds that won't fit on the bobbin, we will contact you to confirm.
- Your choice of potting style
- Fully Potted - Saturate/permeate the entire pickup with wax. We recommended choosing this option.
- Partially Potted - Reduced potting time, ensuring the outermost layers are potted, but it won't necessarily permeate the entire coil.
- Not Potted - This makes your pickup microphonic. It can introduce tonal complexity that wouldn't otherwise be possible with it potted, but it comes at the heavy cost of increased noise and feedback potential.
- Your choice of cover
The pickup will be completely unbranded and unmarked, so you can brand it yourself.
*Built-to-order products rely on in-stock inventory. If we are out of stock and cannot complete your product in the allotted time, we will contact you to discuss options.
**PLEASE CHOOSE CAREFULLY! As soon as you pay for your order, it cannot be modified or cancelled.
60-Day, Hassle-Free, 100% Money Back Guarantee!
We're so convinced you'll love our pickups, that you can try these pickups with no risk for 60 days. You read that right, 60 DAYS! If you decide you don't like them, send them back for a full refund. No questions asked! Though we always do appreciate the feedback, if you choose to provide some.
*If you order without direct sales/consultation regarding the options chosen, there are absolutely NO RETURNS (with the exception being if you received something defective or out of spec from what you ordered).